Because on May 15, 2009 I was blessed with a little redheaded spitfire, and because his hair doesn't seem to be changing color anytime soon, and because I love sharing random research; here are a few facts about redheads...
1. Red hair is the rarest hair type in the world with only 1-2% of the population boasting red locks.
2. Red hair is more commonly found in the United Kingdom and Ireland with famous leaders like King Henry VIII, Queen Elizabeth, Prime Minister Winston Churchill and Prince Harry sporting red hair.
3. Historically King David and Judas Iscariot in the Bible are thought to have had red hair.
4. The genetics behind red hair was discovered in 1997.
5. Redheads make up 2-6% of the population of the United States, giving the US the largest population of redheads in the world.
6. It has been proven that redheads require more anesthesia during surgery.
7. The red hair gene is recessive and requires both parents of a redhead to carry a copy of the gene.
8. Redheads have a lower threshold when it comes to thermal pain.
9. 40% of the population of Scotland carry the redhead gene making it the country with the highest proportion of redheads in the world.
10. Other famous redheaded leaders include Oliver Cromwell, Thomas Jefferson & Napoleon Bonaparte.
**It has been scientifically proven that sharing these fun facts with others will brighten a redhead's day...
ok, maybe not.
I'm Linking to Top Ten Tuesdays